adult screening programme
About 10,000 people are diagnosed with bladder cancer in the UK each year. It is the 10th most common cancer. By the time of diagnosis, most bladder cancers are still limited to the bladder.
The condition is more common in older adults, with most new cases diagnosed in people aged 60 and above. Bladder cancer is also more common in men than in women.
Read more about bladder cancer on the NHS website.
UK NSC screening recommendation
The UK NSC commissioned an evidence map in 2019 for screening for bladder cancer in adults. The map, published in 2020, found not enough evidence to warrant a new evidence review.
The UK NSC recommendation remains that screening is not recommended because there is no safe, precise and valid screening test for bladder cancer.
Supporting documents from the 2020 review
Bladder cancer evidence map UK NSC 15 07 2020
This document investigates whether a more detailed review can be conducted based on the available evidence.
Screening for bladder cancer evidence map Coversheet UK NSC 15 07 2020 Redacted
This document summarises the review process including the public consultation comments.
Other supporting documents
- Evidence summary - bladder cancer (2015).pdf
- UKNSC coversheet & consultation responses - bladder cancer (2015).pdf
Date previous review completed: 2020
Next review estimated to be completed: 2023 to 2024.
To see previous evidence reviews, visit the UK NSC archive.
Organisations interested in Bladder Cancer
These organisations have expressed interest in this recommendation and may submit responses to evidence reviews.
List of organisations
- Cancer Research UK
- Faculty of Public Health
- Fight Bladder Cancer
- Northern Ireland Cancer Network
- Rarer Cancers Forum
- Royal College of General Practitioners
- Royal College of Nursing
- Royal College of Pathologists
- Royal College of Physicians
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Radiologists
- Royal College of Surgeons
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Society and College of Radiographers
- The British Association for Cancer Research
- The British Association of Urological Surgeons
- Urostomy Association