adult screening programme
Hypertension is another name for high blood pressure. Hypertension often causes no symptoms or immediate problems. But it is a major risk factor for developing a serious cardiovascular disease, such as a stroke or heart disease.
Read more about hypertension on the NHS website.
UK NSC screening recommendation
Although the UK NSC does not recommend hypertension screening in adults, it identified the need for a vascular risk management programme.
Supporting documents from the 2006 review
Date previous review completed: 2006
Next review estimated to be completed: 2021 to 2022.
To see previous evidence reviews, visit the UK NSC archive.
Organisations interested in Hypertension (adult)
These organisations have expressed interest in this recommendation and may submit responses to evidence reviews.
List of organisations
- AF Association
- Arrhythmia Alliance
- British & Irish Hypertension Society
- Faculty of Public Health
- Royal College of General Practitioners
- Royal College of Nursing
- Royal College of Physicians
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- Vascular Society of Great Britain and Ireland