child screening programme
Lead poisoning is a medical condition caused by increased levels of the metal lead in the blood.
Read more about lead poisoning on NHS Inform.
UK NSC screening recommendation
Screening for lead poisoning is not recommended because:
- the number of children affected in the UK is currently not known
- the test was not reliable enough
- treatments in children with mild symptoms have not been proven and may also be harmful
Supporting documents from the 2018 review
Evidence summary Lead poisoning (2017)
This document provides the evidence on which the current UK NSC recommendation is based.
UK NSC Coversheet elevated BLLs (2018)
This document summarises the review process including the public consultation comments.
Date previous review completed: 2018
Next review estimated to be completed: 2021 to 2022.
To see previous evidence reviews, visit the UK NSC archive.
Organisations interested in Lead Poisoning
These organisations have expressed interest in this recommendation and may submit responses to evidence reviews.
List of organisations
- Faculty of Public Health
- Lead Safe World
- Royal College of General Practitioners
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Royal College of Physicians
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh